Fennel and orange salad
1 smaller bulb of fennel
2-3 small to medium oranges
1/2 red onion
1 Tbs. grapeseed oil or olive oil
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Start by removing the stalks and fronds (the leafy bits on the top) off the bulb of the fennel. Set aside some of the fronds for garnish.
2. Julienne both the fennel and red onion and set in bowl. Bon appétit has a great tutorial here if you need help with figuring out how to slice up the fennel.
3. Remove the peel of the oranges and slice into small chunks and add to the fennel and onion.
4. Combine the oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk together. Add the dressing to the other ingredients and toss to combine.
5. Garnish with some of the reserved fronds.
Eat this salad as a side to grilled fish or chicken. Or eat it as a meal by itself atop a pile of arugula or baby spinach.
Other additions to consider adding to this salad to spruce it up:
Dried cherries or cranberries
Fresh herbs like mint or cilantro