I made this BBQ sauce to go with some cast iron chicken legs but it really goes great with any grilled meat or on pulled pork.
Smoky apple BBQ sauce
1 can tomato paste
1/3 cup apple sauce- you can use unsweetened, already prepared applesauce or make your own by following the directions below
1 large, dried ancho pepper
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon ghee
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt
Kitchen equipment needed:
Small sauce pan
Stick blender or blender
- Start by making applesauce- see below
- While the applesauce is cooking, remove the stem from the ancho pepper and soak it with some boiling water until it is soft- about 5 minutes. Drain the water.
- Blend the tomato paste, ancho pepper, applesauce, vinegar, paprika, cayenne, and salt into a smooth paste.
- Heat the ghee in the saucepan on medium-high heat. Crush the garlic and fry it in the ghee for 15-20 seconds.
- Add in the tomato mixture into the sauce pan, mix well, turn the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
For the applesauce:
1 gala apple
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ cup water
A dash of cinnamon
Rinse, peel, and dice the apple into small chunks. Place the apple in a small sauce pan with the lemon juice, water, and cinnamon. Simmer on medium-high heat for approximately 20 minutes. After the apples are tender use a stick blender or blender to make a smooth sauce.